Sunday, May 31, 2015

The Cool Mom

This morning,  we were snuggling in bed and talking about my going out one night this week while Raphaela stayed home with her favorite baby sitter.  Raphaela turned to me and said, "We need to reevaluate my bed time, eight pm is too early for me." I asked her when she thought it was appropriate for her to go to sleep, and she answered, "Ten pm works better for me.  You will tell that to the sitter, OK?"

Once we arrived at Gan today, Raphaela and several of her friends asked if I could stay a while and "play" with them.  Since I am starting work later today, I happily agreed and we all sat down at the drawing table, where I took requests from the children:  "Can you draw me a playground?" "I want a magical forest!" etc.

The drawing gave way to discussions about dinosaurs ("They're dead, they're all dead, " said one of the boys, glumly.)  and gerbils ("They eat their babies," exclaimed one of the girls.) and other important kindergarten subjects.  One of the girls said that her house was "ugly," on account of the new baby that just came home from the hospital. I told her that as long as there was love in the house, it could never be ugly.

The Head Teacher, who had been observing quietly from the corner, came over to me afterwards and said to me, "It looks like I have a replacement today."

I love being the Cool Mom. (One day in the future my teenage daughter will be embarrassed to be seen with me and will not want to hang out with me, so I will grab the opportunity of the moment.)

No comments: