Saturday, July 13, 2013

In the heat of the Israeli Summer, Raphaela goes to sleep with a full set of pajamas and they somehow disappear by the morning.  The long days have not changed her predilection for the early hours, and our day starts between five and five thirty am.

Raphaela: (Looking bleary eyed and wearing only her birthday suit, comes into my room and wakes me up)  Mommy, I have to get dressed!
Me:  (Bleary eyed and vaguely annoyed)  It's not a rush, after all, it's not like we have a party to attend at this hour.
Raphaela: (Eyes brightening) Oh, not so! We must get ready for the birthday party!
Me:  Whose birthday party?
Raphaela:  The vowels, it's their birthday.

Within five minutes she returned, fully clothed in a party dress and her fancy Shabbat shoes; pulling off my covers, she chastised me for my slothfulness, "Nu nu, are you ready yet for the party?"

This child will keep me young, and thank goodness for that.

No comments: