Monday, April 15, 2013

Worlds Collide

What a thrill to see one of my teachers, Dr Tamar Ross, receive the honor of lighting one of the 12 torches in the 2013 Yom HaAtzmaut ceremony on Mount Herzl in Jerusalem.  They described her as one of the most influential Jewish religious feminists of our generation.  She also happens to be the mother of one of the first Jewish Orthodox SMBC in the State of Israel; a mother of three, Dr Ross' daughter opened the door for so many other women to fulfill the dream of becoming a parent, without the traditional family structure.

As Raphaela and I watched the fireworks over Jerusalem, two explosions rocked the Boston Marathon finish line, killing three and wounding countless others. One other explosion, and two other undetonated incendiary devices were found within the city of Boston, as well as a suspicious fire at the John F. Kennedy Memorial Library.  My parents live near Heartbreak Hill, the most difficult aspect of the race toward the end of the route; my mother called the terrorist attack "the end of the Age of Innocence."

Welcome to our daily experience here in 65 year old Israel.

2 comments:

Jen said...

My father and I were just reflecting on how long Americans have been able to be sheltered from the type of violence that regularly occurs all over the world.

I hope that once it is discovered who is responsible that it won't lead to more violence and death. Although I know it's not realistic, I still wish for a world at peace for my children's future.

Doc said...

I hope that by the time my daughter gets to be 18 years old, she will not have to go into the army to defend the daily existence of the State of Israel.