Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Chiropractic Conference, Child in Tow

Armed with a standard parental bag of tricks - snacks, activities, iPad, change of  clothing - Raphaela and I attended the semi-annual meeting of the Israel Chiropractic Society.  She was surely the youngest and cutest person there, and behaved with remarkable maturity for her three years, even allowing me to make my presentation without interruption.  When she saw other (trained) Chiropractors adjusting each other, she insisted upon joining and proceeded to perform a thoroughly convincing interpretation of the treatment she has observed in my clinic.

We had a sketchy moment when she removed her shoes and socks and started jumping the two king-size exhibition mattresses on display in the back of the room, but I figured it was the most practical way to test-drive the product, if anyone asked or disapproved.

After I was soundly elected as Vice President of the ICS (30-4 in my favor), Raphaela showed her happiness by inviting me to join her in the "We Did It" dance from Dora the Explorer.  When I spoke to the other members before the vote, I said the following,"I offer my candidacy because I know I can make a difference.  Some of you may look at the fact that I have brought my toddler to this meeting as a sign of weakness, that I have too much on my plate to take on even more responsibility.  But let me tell you, as a single mother and a committed professional I have become a most excellent multi-tasker.  What is the famous saying? 'If you want something done, give the job to a busy person.' Well, I am a very busy person."

After lunch there were more planned academic lectures, but I could not pass up the opportunity of summer weather and some of the most beautiful beaches in all of Israel.  Raphaela and I spent the entire afternoon frolicking in the soft sand and the waves of Herzeliya, and it took all my will power to leave that place of serenity and sit on the road for two hours on the way back to Jerusalem.

The best part of my day was spending it with my child, a rare treat in a week where she usually attends Gan for nine hours per day.  I think, however, that I may soon have to leave Jerusalem and find a city with a beach house;  of course once I have that exceptional view every morning, I may never go to work again.

No comments: