Saturday, September 8, 2012

Moments from a Day

Ever since we watched the movie "Field of Dreams" together, Raphaela walks around the house whispering, "If you build it, he will come."  Kind of cute and eerie at the same time.  Sometimes she gets confused and says, "If you build it, he will build it." 

==================================================================

When Raphaela woke up this morning, after about ten hours of sleep, her curls falling over her face, she came up to me with a big smile and said, "I woke up from my nap!"

==================================================================

We were sitting in bed snuggling, when she suddenly jumped out of bed, and after a minute came back in and said, "I checked your email," placing an imaginary package into my hand.

==================================================================

This morning Raphaela asked for milk and I gave it to her in a cup.  Apparently that particular cup offended her in some way, so she immediately dumped the milk out into the sink.  I explained to her that we do not waste food, and told her that as a result, she would not be getting a second helping of milk now.

Then I went to the bathroom for all of 30 seconds, during which time she dragged the heavy step stool over to the kitchen cabinets, climbed on top of the counter and pulled out the vessel she preferred.  Then she opened the fridge and took out the milk, and had I not caught her in that moment, I am fairly certain that while some of the liquid may have ended up in the cup, most of it would have been a puddle on the floor.

Three cheers for independent thinking, but I am seriously thinking about getting a lock for the refrigerator.

===================================================================

When I took her to Gan this morning, she asked if I would stay with her "a little bit."  So we sat down and started working on a puzzle together.  After a much shorter time than I anticipated, Raphaela became annoyed and perhaps -in teenage fashion - embarrassed by my presence, and said to me in a firm voice, "Mommy, go home now."

1 comment:

tesyaa said...

A lock on the fridge? Kind of a contradiction of your ADHD post. I know she is 3, but she can start learning impulse control. A lock won't teach much.