Sunday, August 5, 2012

Bonus Time

All year, I have taken Raphaela out of Gan early on Sundays and Thursdays, because I control my own clinic schedule, and because I believe that she is still young enough to need quality time with her mother.  When Raphaela becomes a teenager, it may be another story, she may find me old fashioned and embarrassing, and I want to take advantage of the time I have. 

The End of the Year Party took place this past Friday, and given the recent events at Gan, I felt uncomfortable as the Head Nursery Teacher went from parent to parent.  She told each child how much she loved them and how much they had grown in the past two years.  She ignored my child, and though Raphaela did not know the difference, I found it petty and vindictive. 

No matter, it's Sunday and just as I was about to leave the house after work, one of the other teachers called with a spectacular offer:  since only three days remain until the end of the school year, and since there is a birthday party scheduled for the afternoon, she suggested that Raphaela stay the full day and not miss the festivities.

Amazing how the offer of a few extra hours during the day changed my entire mood.  I thought, "Now I can have lunch, catch up on some housework, and watch the Olympics.  Maybe even take a nap..."

Of course as soon as the nap idea crossed my mind, a patient called with a Chiropractic emergency, and I told him that I happened to have some available time this afternoon.

I love my daughter, and I want to watch her grow, but I am realizing more and more the value of personal activities for myself, a brief period each day where I reconnect to me.  Not Raphaela's mother and not some one's daughter or sister or doctor, just me.

1 comment:

Commenter Abbi said...

What? The head teacher actually ignored your daughter? I really think it's your responsibility to publish the name of this gan so others can avoid it. That just sounds psycho. I've sent 3 kids to 3 different ganim, I've just never heard of that in my entire life.