Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sleep, Disturbed

Somehow my daughter jumped from toddler habits to teenager habits in the last week, and has now decided that nine thirty pm is a much better time to get into bed, rather than the 7:30- 8 pm to which I had acclimated and enjoyed.

She uses all those clever children requests, like "I'm thirsty," "I have to go to the bathroom," "My finger hurts, " "Please put on the music again."  Topped off with, "I want to play some more with Mommy."  I often wonder where children learn this, especially given with Raphaela that she has no older siblings in the house to teach her or to model behaviour.

As I was saying to a friend of mine yesterday, also a parent of toddlers, the net result is the complete loss of my private time, during which I would possibly eat something, read a book, watch television or talk to adult friends and have a healthy grown-up conversation.  I also go to sleep later that I had planned, in order to detox from the day, and as a consequence, do not get enough hours of absolutely needed rest for myself.

3 comments:

Rachel Selby said...

I find it's harder to get to bed on time in the summer - we are out later instead of rushing home, we have more energy in the evening it seems, it just doesn't feel like night time at 7pm.

Nicole said...

Is she still sleeping in the afternoon at gan? If yes, this is the sign that you need to ask the ganenet to stop it

Amy Charles said...

You have to tell her that evening time is Mommy time. It doesn't matter if she doesn't understand. After the clock says 8, Rafaela is in her room, and Mommy is having Mommy time. And then enforce it. It's important for you to have time for yourself.