Sunday, June 24, 2012

On Shabbat, I asked Raphaela if she needed to use the toilet, and she replied, "I will wait until I get to Gan."  Explaining that she cannot possibly hold it in for the next 24 hours, that Gan was closed, she shrugged her shoulders Israeli-kid style, and continued playing.

===================================================================

Yesterday afternoon, after picking up Raphaela from Gan, it was clear from her behaviour and her responses that she was desperately overtired.  For several hours, nothing I offered was acceptable, and only led to more tears and a confusing array of communication between us.

As a mother, at the very least it felt frustrating, being unable to reach her and knowing that a calming bath and an early night's sleep would resolve most of the issues, options she adamantly refused.  I also knew that I would have a difficult time within myself, feeling somehow inadequate as a parent.

Ultimately, Raphaela fell asleep on my lap, in the middle of  a dramatic reading of The Lion Who Loved Strawberries.  I finished the story over her sighs and snores.

No comments: