Thursday, January 19, 2012

Ch..ch..changes

Having almost come to a decision regarding Raphaela's Gan for next year, one week before the city-wide registration begins, I can already feel myself breathing a little easier.  That being said, I have "miles to go before I sleep,"   physically and emotionally.

Irrationally, having made that choice, this idea popped into my head of change, major change, starting my hair.  I have always felt more feminine with long curly hair: one Summer, sometime in the late 80's/early 90's, when Demi Moore was appearing in the movie theaters as a sexy practically bald marine ("GI Jane"?), I boldly walked into a high end salon in The City and said, "Take it all off, give me the Demi Moore haircut."  For weeks after, I could not look at myself in the mirror, and hated showering, because I could literally touch the bones of my skull.  I certainly did not experience "sexy."

This time I plan to go to my stylist, whom I trust with my curly hair, and within the guidelines between a trim and shaving me bald, I will give him free reign to color and cut, in a way that flatters the angles of my face and makes it quicker to get out of the house in the morning.

I am, at heart, a low-maintenance gal.

I am reminded of a conversation I witnessed between my grandmother and one of my aunts, who at the time was the mother of three, in her early 40's, and was still sporting the Free Love Marcia Brady hairstyle of long-thin- straight down to your butt.  My grandmother sternly advised my aunt that it was time to "grow up" and cut her hair, that she was no longer a teenager and needed to look more professional.

I am also reminded of the time that my father, for his 40th birthday, shaved off the beard he had grown since high school.  When my younger sister returned from school that day, she stared at my father in shock, cried out, "Who are you and what have you done to my Daddy?" and stormed out of the room.

Normally, I pay little attention to chronological age and randomly selected milestones, but in fact I have noticed that in Israel as a trend, many women I know who hit the early 40's go short and fashionable with their locks.

Stop me, however, if I get to my sixth decade and indulge another Israeli trend ie that inexplicable purple hair thing.

3 comments:

Rachel Selby said...

I also have a long hair thing - but please stop me if I get to that old lady with a long gray plait thing - ugh!

Rachel Selby said...

I meant to say - I can't wait to see your new look. Good luck!

Ariela said...

I cut off my long hair when I was 32 and have been short and sexy ever since. I never look back, I LOVE my short hair. My daughters (9 and 16), on the other hand, are appalled by my short hair and beg me to grow it back all the time. NEVER!!!!