Thursday, September 8, 2011

Only in Israel, The Flip Side

The new neighbors on my small street are so used to me, and my car when I lived on the other side of the road, that at least one of them did not read the concise and polite note I left in Hebrew in the mailboxes of the building.  It read:  "Allow me to introduce myself, I will be moving into this building in the beginning of September.  I understand from my land lord that the second parking space to the left belongs to my living space, and I will try my very best to park in an accurate and considerate manner.  Please feel free to contact me, should you have any questions."

I have been parking in the new building's lot for the last three days.  Today I found an anonymous note on the windshield of my car, along with a few scratches that had not been there before.  It read:  "You have such gaul.  How dare you park in the lot of our building when you have a private parking spot across the street where you live.  You are one of the most obnoxious people I have ever seen."

If I weren't so exhausted from the move, I might have entered into anxiety and panic.  Instead, I took a red marker, drew a map of the parking lot and indicated my parking space, and wrote the following:  "The car, whose license plate is *** now lives in this building, along with it's owner.  Thank you.  PS I am in fact not obnoxious." I posted the letter near the mailboxes, so any resident would see it immediately upon entering the building.

I am sure this man or woman did not mean to think the worst of me, or key my car, and I know that I have not violated anyone's parking space, so I hope that my calm response to the situation solves the problem.  As well, perhaps the man or woman who performed these anonymous actions should seen professional help for anger management.

No comments: