Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Big Trouble in River City?

Yesterday, when I dropped Raphaela off at Gan in the morning, another parent of a sweet boy  - slightly older than Raphaela- asked me an odd question, "Does she smile and laugh in Gan?"  I answered that she does indeed, as her smile almost represents Raphaela's core personality, and then I wondered why this mother seemed to be concerned.

Apparently this mother had been told by all the staff that her son, who is happy and verbal at home, keeps a serious and wary face all day, and that he doesn't even respond to tickling or affection.  While there was a problematic child in the beginning of the year (the violent three year old who mauled Raphaela), there have been no problems since then.  Furthermore, this boy's parents could not understand why he would be scared or sad, since they have seen him develop so much in the last several months.

I thought about this story all day, it distracted me at work, not because I think there  is something wrong with the Gan, but because it makes me sad to think that a child who is barely one and a half years old has reason to be unhappy.  I can also sympathize with his parents' concerns, we all want what is best for our babies. 

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Clearly I have no idea what is up with this child, but here are some ideas I brainstormed:

- Attachment issues for home
- allergic to something in Gan
- digestive intolerance to something he eats in the mornings
- language confusion?
- a particular child who is mean to him?
- not as happy/verbal at home as you think?
- circadian rhythm - needs to be napping that time of day?
- bullied by older child/older sibling?
- Does he go to the bathroom often enough while at Gan?

Just a few thoughts to throw out there.

Doc said...

I also don't know which of your excellent suggestions may be troubling this boy, though as another parent in the Gan, I would certainly like to get to the bottom of the mystery.
My feeling is that it is either attachment issues, and/or there is one particular three year old who is very affectionate with the younger kids,and it can be scary when he comes over and squeezes their face to kiss them. (I have seen him do so to Raphaela on several occasions, and I always wonder whether I need to get involved.)
At the very least, this boy's parents continue to take him to this Gan and have not yet reached the level of concern to pull him out.