Monday, December 20, 2010

How Many Children do I Have?

Every day, when I go to work, there is a corner reserved on my cabinet for the items that give me joy, and remind me of my real priorities in life. 

At the moment, right next to a recent picture of Raphaela, I have placed one of my brother's business cards.  My youngest brother recently graduated from college and is spending the year working as a prestigious Presidential Fellow at Yeshiva University.  He and I have always had a strong and deep connection, despite the 19 year age difference, I am so proud of the person he has become, and can't wait to see how he will fulfill his vast potential.

If you ask me how many children I have, the short answer is one, the long answer is two and a half:  Harry, my almost nine year old cat, taught me how to love and care for someone, over and above my own daily needs.  Raphaela counts as the first human child, but my youngest brother showed me that the more you invest in a relationship, the more you both receive in return.   

No comments: