Friday, October 8, 2010

Learning Names

As I reflect on Raphaela's first week in Gan, I get excited when I think about all the dramatic changes in only six days: literally overnight, Raphaela started speaking Hebrew and doubled her basic vocabulary; she has become so active that she chases Harry around the house, and he runs away in fear; Raphaela scales any piece of furniture that is climbable, like Everest, because it is there.

Her sleeping patterns have not quite settled in as nicely, but that may be partially due to the arrival of her second tooth. This morning she woke up, ready to go, at 4:15 am, and this afternoon she fell/jumped out of the crib for the first time. I am not ready for her to move to a regular bed.

The one area of failure that I can identify regards my lack of ability to remember the names of most of the staff of the Gan, and most of the names of the other children. Every morning and every afternoon all the other parents seem to know everyone, and spend five minutes saying "Good morning" and "Good bye." Since Raphaela started one month after everyone else, I missed the meeting where all the children were introduced, and I feel outside the social circles of the parents. I feel I must rectify this cultural faux pas, sooner rather than later.

This afternoon at pick-up, I found Raphaela playing happily and covered from head to toe in chocolate cake. Apparently, in addition to the Shabbat party there had been a birthday celebration, and she had her first taste of my favorite addiction. The chocolate was stuck in her hair, covered her face and extremities, and even Bunny got a piece of the action. It was pure joy.

They sent Raphaela home with a small challah that the older children had baked for everyone, and my daughter treated this bread as the most precious gift she had ever received. She refused to give it up and when I tried to put it away for later, she started screaming "Challah, Challah." (With a lovely Israeli pronunciation of the letter "chet.") She then stuffed the entire roll into her mouth and slowly chewed it for the next half hour, while playing with blocks.

All this after one week in Gan, I can't wait to see what comes next. Shabbat Shalom.

No comments: