Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Last Bag

Today I defrosted the last bag of breast milk, marking the end of my back-up supply.  The Avent pump has been useless for over one month now.

As it should be, people will tell me.  She eats solid foods and is out of the house for much of the day at nursery.  Breast milk responds to demand, and Raphaela has clearly demanded less.  My daughter is growing up and appropriately, that which satisfied her as an infant applies less and less.

From now on, Raphaela will get whatever my body can give her, I still nurse in the morning and at night because I enjoy that time together.  Raphaela will switch back and forth between the left and right sides, as if somehow each breast provides a different flavour.  I find it amusing when she pulls my shirt to let me know that she wants to snack, though her clever communication is less desirable when it takes place at the post office or the bank.

Let's see how much longer this continues, her third tooth started to errupt this weekend...

2 comments:

Ariela said...

I completely understand that feeling of using up the last bag. I nursed 5 babies and pumped for all of them. I stopped pumping somewhere btw 6 months-1 year depending on the baby. I continued nursing the first three for only a few more months, but the last two I nursed until they were 2.5 and 3. I found that the older I got, the more milk I seemed to have. Good luck with your nursing relationship. I think it the best thing in the world and really miss it.
I read in a previous post that you knew RivkA from Barnard - so did I. Do we know one another?

Ariela said...

this is a guest post that I wrote at "Mother in Israel" about BF and working
http://www.amotherinisrael.com/guest-post-breastfeeding-working-mother/