Friday, July 9, 2010

Always a First Time

Thank G-d, with the exception of the beginning of allergy season, Raphaela has not been ill. This week changed all that, between my own stress, her not napping because of the construction, her exposure to germs galore at Gymboree, and her exposure to the specific germs of the little boy at her care taker.

For the first time, I had to take Raphaela's temperature, to check if she had a fever and needed to see the doctor before the weekend. The thermometer may be digital, but the placement is far from ordinary. I imagine there will be quite a few uncomfortable experiences as Raphaela grows up, and today I had to stick the thermometer where the sun don't shine.

No fever, but she has been crying on and off all day, in between sporadic naps. Our family doctor is also a colleague and a friend, and she has made herself extremely available to us, and for that I am grateful. She may have extended herself beyond the norm because I am a single parent, but after being awake since five am and essentially holding Raphaela all day, I will take all the sympathy I can get.

And despite the fact that I am a Chiropractor, I will also take some aspirin for my own headache, now that Raphaela is bathed and asleep.

No comments: