Sunday, May 16, 2010

Falling Into the Trap

I have always prided myself that I do not fall into the new parent competition, but today I lapsed. While doing errands this morning, I bumped into a woman who has a son one week older than Raphaela, and the conversation went something like this (names omitted to protect the innocent):

Me: Is your son crawling yet?
Other Mom: No, he isn't.
Me: It's crazy, she goes everywhere, I have to baby proof the house.
OM: Is she eating solids yet?
Me: She has tastings but isn't as enthusiastic as I would like.
OM: My son is a great eater, he eats right off my plate, everything that I eat.
Me: How's work?
OM: I just got back to work recently, it's hard leaving him with other people.
Me: Raphaela is doing great at her day care.

And we both walked away feeling superior, though I was left with a feeling of slight disgust at my behaviour.

No comments: