Wednesday, March 31, 2010

America the Beautiful

While the rest of my family celebrated their second day of chag (ha!) I took Raphaela out for a walk, as the rain had subsided for the most part, and I felt the need to do something with my body besides eat.

I have lived in Israel for close to 13 years, and had not been back to the East Coast to visit in four years, and so I was struck by the preponderance of water, trees and space. Whereas in Israel we watch every drop of water and have dual flush systems in our bathrooms, Americans seem to take water for granted both inside their homes and outside. There are brooks in the middle of lush parks, and trees with giant thick trunks and more park areas than I can count. For the first time in years, I take a ten minute shower and never run out of hot water. It feels extravagant to me, when in fact it is the American lifestyle.

I cannot complain, my apartment in Jerusalem is nice, I have enough room to work and play and it has a good feng shui. My parents' house looks modest from the outside, but has four floors and seven bedrooms, a proper salon and dining room, and a separate play room and basement. Not to mention an actual backyard rather than a sad little patch of grass. There is a sense of division of space, and privacy, and for all that I have chosen to sacrifice in living in Israel, I don't think I will ever give up on the dream of a house, even if it is not the size or scope of my parents.

Despite the law, most construction projects in Israel conveniently ignore the need to install handicap access ramps and make sidewalks safe and stroller friendly. In contrast, it is a pleasure to take Raphaela out in the stroller in my parents' neighborhood, the upkeep on the roads and walkways keep them smooth and comfortable, dare I say civilized.

I won't even begin the discussion on the difference of the level of customer service I have experienced.

One of my concerns about the length of this trip was that the longer I would stay, and the more I would reconnect with family and friends, the harder it would be to return to Israel. I want to raise my daughter in Israel, because it is much more representative of my value system as a person and as Jew; but it is hard to argue with the allure of the United States.

Then I remember that Barack Hussein Obama was elected President here. At least in Israel, our enemies don't wear the fancy suits and give charismatic speeches, we know exactly what they intend.

1 comment:

koshergourmetmart said...

you comment "It feels extravagant to me [take a ten minute shower], when in fact it is the American lifestyle."

I do not know why you seem so negative about americans in your post. there is not a shortage of water since it rains here on a fairly regular basis. Your comment makes Americans sound shallow and wasteful.when there is a drout, water saving measures are put into effect. The recent rain at the end of the March, set a daily rainfall record in Boston,so there is an abundance of water here.