Sunday, January 10, 2010

Real Food

When I eat, or rather when Raphaela gives me a chance to ingest something quickly, she watches me and laughs; she finds the chewing of food hysterical and interesting. The British baby books talk about starting solid food at the age of four months, the Americans and the Israelis wait until six months, especially if the mother is breast feeding. Apparently my mother started me on solids at four months.

Last Thursday I took Raphaela for her monthly weigh-in, she has consistently gained one kilo each month and is now double her birth weight, and she measures in at 61 cm tall, so tall that she was spilling off the examination table. I think I can use this as a basis of certainty, to say that she is growing quite nicely on mother's milk.

Today, Savta Shira and Raphaela and I went to the cafe for our monthly girls' morning out, and for kicks, I put a small spoon near Raphaela's mouth. Eureka, she seemed to understand exactly what to do with her tongue, and actually seemed disappointed that there was no food on the utensil. Right now I plan on waiting until after Pessach, when she will be a half a year old, to introduce the new "grown-up" diet, but I am betting she will enjoy it.

No comments: