Thursday, December 17, 2009

Only in Israel

Today I had a dental appointment, and originally, one of my friend's daughters was going to baby sit while I had my teeth cleaned, but they took a day trip in the end and were not available. When I arrived at the office, I apologized that I did not have someone to watch over Raphaela, and that I hoped she would not be too much trouble.

Immediately, one older woman sitting in the waiting room offered to feed her a bottle, and the secretaries assured me that they would love to take care of her while I had my check up and treatment. In fact, I did not see my daughter for a half hour, and at one point, one of the secretaries came into the room to let me know that they were changing her diaper. When I finished my appointment, I saw another random woman, who was waiting for her daughter, rocking Raphaela to sleep in her stroller.

Only in Israel would I feel such warm support, and only in Israel would I give my daughter to strangers without hesitation.

No comments: