Thursday, November 5, 2009

Like Blind Dating

The process of finding a nanny feels like my previous experiences with blind dates.

You speak to someone on the phone and you get a vibe from them. You decide if it is worth the time to meet up with them anyway. You figure out how much time you will spend with them in person, so as not to be rude, and towards gathering the information you need to make a decision. You ask questions to understand if you want to get to know this person better, and in this case, if you want them to spend quality time with your child.

I am looking for that elusive "chemistry" as well as experience.

You tell them that you will call them, knowing that some people will be disappointed, and not wanting to hurt their feelings.

I spent this entire afternoon in interview mode with potential care givers for Raphaela, and came out with one candidate who fits the bill. I have three more interviewees on Sunday, and will make a decision by Monday. In any case, I see myself easing back to work part-time in the beginning, mostly because I don't want to spend too much time away from my daughter, and because I honestly don't understand how a woman goes back to work so soon after the birth.

But bills must be paid, and that represents the reality of my situation even more so, as a single parent. I am lucky enough that I have the Chiropractic as a viable and successful career, and that I can make my own hours.

No comments: