Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving Day

My three favorite holidays, both religious and secular, in descending order:
1. Thanksgiving Day
2. Succot
3. The December Holiday Season (Chanukah, Christmas; specifically in The City)

I have so much to be thankful for this year, and I feel that every moment that I spend with my daughter. I also feel the loss for her, that she will not necessarily grow up with her American cousins and experience the holiday traditions that make days like this so special. The food, the predictable arguments, Macy's Day Parade, the mass migration of the men into the den to watch football all afternoon, the midnight deli feast to which only the adults were invited.

The amazing smells of my grandmother's cooking. That feeling of being surrounded by family, for better or for worse. I will have to find Israeli traditions to replace that void.

No comments: