Friday, September 11, 2009

My Husband's Boyfriend (NOT What you think...)

I went to the pool and gym today, one of the first times I was able to do so this week. I always find it strange that I can easily exercise on the treadmill for 25-30 minutes, I love the way the movement feels; and yet getting from my apartment to my parked car, or getting from the car to the gym seems like an eternity. Running feels great, normal errands only emphasize the weight of my stomach, and my reduced ability to walk at anything but a snail's pace.

I am hoping to continue to exercise carefully for at least some of the time before I give birth, though as with everything else, I take it day-to-day. Regardless of my desire to not feel like a blob, I gave up my locker at the gym today: I don't know how much longer I will be attending the gym, and even if I don't give birth for another two weeks, with all the Jewish holidays in between I won't be going daily. And I don't know how long I will be home after the birth itself, before I return to regular exercise outside the house, nor am I pushing myself before my body will give the signal that it is ready.

On the way out from the gym today, I bumped into my pool "spouse" with her boyfriend, Daniel; our "relationship" began several years ago for the purpose of getting a cheaper membership, and now we are friends. She introduced me to him, telling me that he knew the whole story and that she was quite proud to be the father of this child; and that I am the only woman she knows who got more fit and lost weight during pregnancy.

The closer I get to this birth, the more grateful I am to my friends, the warmth and support they have shown me throughout this process, especially because I don't have any real family in Israel, other than distant cousins. I wish for my child this love and friendship as well.

No comments: