Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Thank You, Harry

This morning, my cat Harry "The Highlander" decided to stay inside longer than usual, and went to rest on the futon in the guest room, the room that will at some point become the nursery. I know that cats sleep 16 hours a day, but I could not help myself; I picked him up, rubbed his belly, gave him kisses, and told him how much I love him. Harry did not reject the attention, he may look like a 6.5 kilo mini-tiger but he is one of the most affectionate cats I know. After several minutes, he continued to allow me to cuddle him, but started to whine just a bit, as if to say, "C'mon, why can't I just finish my nap?"

It occurred to me that this baby in a way is not my first born, that taking on Harry as a kitten over seven years ago opened me up to a place I had never truly experienced before with my own upbringing: overflowing and full expression of the emotion of love, the idea that I can love someone or something so much, that my own needs become secondary. And when I later rescued Sarel "Runs Like Rabbit" (Rest in Peace), it taught me an even more important lesson, that of accepting a person/feline for who he is, with his background and complete set of baggage and loving him just the same.

Considering how well adjusted Harry has become, I figure I can trust my human parenting skills and instincts as well.

And so I thank Harry and Sarel, for educating me and for bringing this warmth into my essential programming. I feel as if this child will gain from the person I have become, and that no matter the circumstances, there will be affection and security in the love I have for my daughter.

No comments: