Sunday, August 23, 2009

Segula Dip

I don't know where it originated, but I found out about a wonderful custom here in Jerusalem: at the beginning of the ninth month of pregnancy, a woman goes to the mikva for a "Segula" (Blessing) dip. Rather than the official protocol of cleaning out every orifice on your body, this becomes a celebration of sorts, and many women like to time their turn after the pregnant woman; it is said that they will then get the blessing of pregnancy as well, if they are trying to do so.

I managed to get up and down the hills of my neighborhood, despite the pressure of the ninth month stomach, and quite enjoyed knowing that I had come so far, and that an event that was once theoretical in nature was now so close to its conclusion. I also know that as much of adventure as I experienced in pregnancy, a whole new life awaits me with the healthy birth of this child.

1 comment:

Doc said...

Upon some clarification, it was explained to me that there are three aspects of a woman's life which represent three different segula activities in the ninth month of pregnancy: The Mikva (family purity), candle lighting for Shabbat, and the baking and blessing of Challah.
The first two I can do gladly, as regards baking, I don't count that as a skill set, and don't plan on starting now.