Friday, August 21, 2009

Publically Pregnant

Today I went to a party and barbecue that my friend threw on the occasion of his nine year old daughter's birthday. This was, as expected, primarily an adult party, and I had a hard time finding a drink for myself that did not have at least 5% alcohol content.

It was also the first time that many people had seen me actively pregnant, and the reception I got varied, all of it quite funny. For the first time, people felt that my belly was public domain, with virtual strangers coming over to put their hand on my stomach. Several people offered up toasts to me for my "bravery" in the choice to become a single parent by choice. One person kept shouting at me rather than speaking to me in a normal voice; much like kind and yet misguided people do towards foreigners, presuming a person can understand a language better if you speak to them like they are retarded, in a voice level several decibels above normal.

I didn't realize that pregnancy was viewed as a disability as such, and I felt quite proud to show off my stomach and be "The Pregnant Lady." I even met another woman there, another single mother by choice, with her adorable two year old daughter, wearing the cutest dress from Children's Place. I looked at this woman, settled into her role as mother and actually able to attend a party on a Friday afternoon, and thought, "Soon, this will be me, and I can't wait!"

No comments: