Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Pregnant Rabbis

When was the last time a male Orthodox Rabbi got pregnant, gave birth, started breast feeding and then had to think about fasting for 25 hours on Yom Kippur? Never. Has a male Orthodox Rabbi ever even had a period? Nope

And yet, this seems to have become the basis of many discussions, as the birth comes closer and I get edicts such as, "If you are late and have not given birth by Yom Kippur, you had BETTER fast." "You know you can only get out of fasting if you give birth within a week of Yom Kippur, even if you are breast feeding."

Here's the problem I have with this approach, other than the lobotomy effect of male-centric organized religion: the reason so many babies are born on and immediately after Yom Kippur is because the fasting causes sudden and severe dehydration for the fetus, along with a sudden and unexpected drop in glucose levels. The child, thinking that the womb has now become an unsettling, inhospitable and non-nurturing home, initiates labour in an attempt to flee to a place where he/she may be fed properly again.

I believe that all elements of pregnancy and birth, both physical and emotional, will make or break the experience, and I don't want labour (if needed) initiated by trauma and fear. Of course I would not sit down at the table on Yom Kippur and indulge in a three-course steak dinner, but I will not automatically accept the Jewish religious philosophy that "Life is Suffering."

Furthermore, the 48 hours surrounding the esteemed fast of Yom Kippur are the heaviest in terms of traffic in all hospitals in Israel. Call me selfish, but I would much prefer to be one of three or four women giving birth, rather than one of 30, because of staffing and space considerations at Hadassah Hospital.

4 comments:

mother in israel said...

Hi,
http://www.amotherinisrael.com/2007/09/19/a-radical-ruling-breastfeeding-and-fasting-on-yk/
Many rabbis support this approach.

Abandoning Eden said...

i think that's very sensible and you are doing what is right for your body and your child by not fasting. Rabbis don't seem to have much of an understanding of biology, especially prenatal biology.

Meanwhile a friend of mine who is pregnant was bragging a few weeks ago about how she managed to fast for all of tisha ba'av. I wanted to say something like "hey, that's not great for your baby!" but couldn't figure out how to say it in a non-insulting-non-judgemental way.

koshergourmetmart said...

when I was pregnant and when I nursed I was told to fast using shiurim- a small amt of food every minutes. Not all rabbis are "lobotomized." you need to find the rabbi who is right for you.

Commenter Abbi said...

Agree on finding the right rabbi. I consulted with Rabbi Seth Farber in Ranaana and got a heter to do shiurim on YK when i was BF'ing my 4 month old.

I think there's a lot more flexibility in Israel, if you find the right Rabbi.