Tuesday, August 4, 2009

And Now for the Scary Part

My medical marathon was almost over, I thought, until I went to my gynecologist this afternoon. I had even thought that I could get in a small local vacation some time in the next few weeks, but no...

His response to the results of yesterday morning's ultra-sound was to order another ultra-sound in two weeks. He actually explained to me that not only was the pulse of the umbilical cord on the low end of the scale, but the larger issue is one of the ratio of growth of stomach, compared to the head.

In certain cases of placental insufficiency (he actually called it "premature aging" of the placenta), it slows down the growth of the fetus, and the first place to see it is at the stomach, which is considered a less essential organ than the brain. The ultra-sound in two weeks will determine if the finding is a fluke, or something that must be monitored closely, an actual risk factor.

In addition, while most women gain significant weight in the last trimester, I have actually gone down a kilo. Again, my doctor seemed nonchalant about the number, saying that I still have reserves from which the baby can feed, but noting that generally one would expect a woman in the eighth month to go up rather than go down.

So I get to experience two weeks of hell until the next exam, and I have switched into full prayer mode, repeating the mantra to G-d, the Universe and whoever else is listening, "Please let my child be healthy, please let her grow."

All the more unfortunate, in the last few weeks communication has seriously broken down between myself and my mother, and I don't feel that I can call her and talk to her about this. I don't feel I will get the emotional support I need.

3 comments:

SuperRaizy said...

We will be praying right along with you. God willing, your baby will be just fine!

Doc said...

Thank you. I honestly don't know how I am going to get through the next two weeks with my sanity intact.

koshergourmetmart said...

try talking to your mom-she may feel more upset that you did not confide in her in something so upsetting. give her a chance to help you