Tuesday, July 28, 2009

You Know You're Pregnant When...

I met my friend Michal and her partner Yael for a birthday dinner tonight, it so happens that Michal and I share the same birth-day, which makes even more sense considering that we have become good friends and have supported each other during the fertility and pregnancy process.

It took three different attempts before we were able to find a table which accommodated mine and Michal's growing stomachs and low back pain, which sent us all into fits of laughter. And Michal kept asking the restaurant to turn up the air conditioner, as we hyper-hormoned women tend to produce inordinate amounts of body heat. Pregnancy might be the only time in my life when those little aches and pains are welcome as a sign of "normalcy."

Michal noted that I seem to be far less concerned about bringing the baby home and raising her, as opposed to my obsession to avoiding pain and complications during the birth itself. She is correct in her observation, right now my greatest fear involves the uncertainty of the birth, my pain threshold and most things related to my stay in the hospital. For the sake of my sanity and the ease of the labour, I need to get over that sooner rather than later.

No comments: