Monday, February 25, 2008

When Do You Kick Out the Cats?

(And other somewhat irrelevant questions.)

Q: When are you planning on getting rid of your two cats? Aren't they dangerous around new babies?

A: Firstly, you may be referring to the problems of cleaning out the litter box, and in that case, no worries. My two cats use Gaea's bathroom, I have not cleaned out a litter box in years. Secondly, medical research has shown that babies and children who are exposed to pets at a young age have fewer allergies as they get older. Third, I have seen many cases where cats, (dogs and hamsters) not only add to the household, but actively protect the new baby, as it were there own kitten. Knowing my own felines, they will make excellent older brothers.

Q: If you could choose the horoscope of your child, or the season of the birth, what would it be?

A: According to Western civilization, I am a fire sign, and according to Chinese I am a wood element. Despite my holistic view of the world, I still have doubts as to the chicken-egg explanation of signs; does the horoscope fit the person, or do we humans in our search for order try to fit the random personality types. Regardless, I do not have the luxury of waiting six months, and as long as the baby is born healthy, I will be happy.

Q: Would you leave Israel and move to America once you give birth, to be closer to your family and have built-in baby sitters?

A: I made a choice to move to Israel in 1997, and that choice represented a long-term plan to live and raise a family with the values here as opposed to the United States. I might consider the move if I had twins, but since I am going for as natural a conception as possible (no hormones for the moment), a multiple birth is less likely. My work, my life, my friends are in Israel; besides which, I would not want to travel on a 12 hour international flight with a new baby and two cats.

Q: If this were your only chance to have children in theory, why not go for a multiple birth and super-fertility treatments? That way you get a whole family at once.

A: I have watched the parenting television shows, and I will admit that I find certain personality traits present in "onlies" less attractive. Only children don't learn how to share or compromise when they are getting 100% of the attention and rule over 100% of the territory. That being said, I had the important experience early on of a reality check. I visited and spent time with a woman named Dvorah Ross, an Orthodox Israeli woman who pioneered the halachic movement for single women to enter into motherhood in this country. She has a ten year old boy and a set of twins with special needs, and at the moment, no desire to date. On the one hand, she is an inspiration for the religious and non-religious communities in Israel; I can report, however, that she does struggle in certain areas, and certain givens fall by the wayside.

So for now, I will start with one.

Please feel free to ask any questions, and I will address them from time to time in this blog.

No comments: