Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Babies Cost Money I

One of my largest fears at the moment is the amount of money a baby costs in terms of its basic physical needs in the first six months, and as I have been told by many parents, it's not about the planning, it's about the surprises. Because I am an independent contractor, when I don't work, I do not get paid. I also do not expect my family overseas to start supporting me financially, and turn me back into a teenager getting a glorified allowance.

I do have a house fund that could easily become a baby fund, should the need arise. Many mothers I know pass around used clothing and baby furniture, saying that there is no reason to buy all new of everything, when the baby grows so quickly in the initial stages. I would also like to think that this child will not only benefit from my love and attention, but will also extras in his/her life, and will not feel a sense of lack. I don't plan on buying out all of Toys R Us, but I suspect that this child will be mildly spoiled.

The real change manifests as my priorities shift, and I notice myself thinking twice before I buy something that is not absolutely necessary. Money saved today can be spent later. I have already thought about the cost of my Pilates sessions (60 NIS/hour) and my membership at the gym (2500/year) and how I can make this all work once the baby arrives.

I have also come to the realization that TV programs with nudity, violence or bad language will not be shown when the baby is awake, and certain rock songs just don't cut it in the values category. My swearing when I drive will have to be muzzled; and I will not be able to sleep in when I feel like it. I accept all these "costs" willingly.

There are certain government based programs which help in smaller ways:

1. National Health Insurance will pay for most of the doctor visits and hospitalizaitons and will largely subsidize the vitamins and medications that may be needed, other than purchasing the sperm donation itself, and hormone shots, which can be costly.

2. Bituach Leumi (National Insurance) takes the amount of money earned in the last three months before birth and maternity leave, and will pay 75% that amount for 14 weeks.

3. My professional insurance will pay before the birth, only if there is a dire medical need to stop working earlier than planned.

4. The Jerusalem Municipality will grant a 20% refund in Arnona (property taxes) and a single mother has one extra point of credit toward taxes.

5. Some nursery programs give discounts to single parents, but it is solely based on household income, and not on family status.

Now I have to include my insurance agents and my accountant in on my plans, so they can start the legwork for me.

No comments: